Frankie Knuckles releases ‘Tales from The Tone Arm’ / Nocturnal / 12th Nov
Written by Michael
November 8, 2012 11:16 am
Release Date : CD 12th November 2012 | Digital 19th December 2012
“Every project pretty much started out as a remix on spec or a simple collaboration or production request. All of these tunes were beginning to get a lot of notice everywhere I was playing and before I knew it I had enough material to make an album. I had so many strong songs in my arsenal we decided this compilation should reflect exactly where I am at musically right now and pull all these productions together in one place.” – Frankie Knuckles
Now a household name in music, Frankie Knuckles is the man who is famously credited as being the ‘Godfather of House Music’. It was at his Chicago nightclub in the late 70’s – ‘The Warehouse’ – where he would take the ultimately danceable beats of disco and subtly evolve them into what we nowknow as house.
His achievements are formidable, a recipient of the first Grammy for ‘Remixer Of The Year’, he has worked on just about every important soulful vocalist in the past 20 years – Mary J. Blige, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Diana Ross, Luther Vandross, and Whitney Houston to name but a few. Recently he famously reworked Hercules and Love Affair’s “Blind”, Depeche Mode’s “Wrong” and Whitney Houston’s “Million Dollar Bill”.
It is this association with a multitude of impeccable artists that has let him to put together this aptly titled new album “Tales From Beyond The Tone Arm” – a kind of ‘concept’ compilation album that takes us through Frankie’s most recent productions, collaborations and musical experiences.
This new compilation album is split into two moods. ‘The Classic Side’ (CD1) is full of tracks that are reminiscent of the halcyon days of house music back in the early ’90s, including Frankie’s own celebrated re-work of “The Whistle Song” under his Directors Cut moniker along with long time production partner and house stalwart Eric Kupper. Here you will also find a plethora of genre defining tracks like “Fable” (Lil Louis) and “Worthy” (Richard Earnshaw feat. Jocelyn Brown).
‘The Soultronic Side’ (CD 2) brings it all forward, fusing soulful sounds from Inaya Day & Robin S. (“Right Now”) with newcomers such as Colton Ford (“Let Me Live Again”) and young producers and remixers like Rober Gaez and Belocca & Soneec. Finally, let’s not forget the legendary ONO (Yoko Ono) who plays her part in the story with “I’m Movin’ On”.
The album also includes an impressive array of exclusives cutsfrom the likes of Sybil (“Let Yourself Go”), Kenny Summit and Yasmeen (“Loving You”), Inaya Day and Robin S. (“Right Now”) and Director’s Cut new remix on The Shapeshifters & C-Dock (“Nothing But Love For You”).
‘Tales From Beyond The Tone Arm’ is released on November 12th 2012
CD 1 – The Classic Side
1. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut – The Whistle Song
2. Hardsoul feat. Ron Carroll – Back Together (Director’s Cut Classic Club Mix)
3. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Sybil – Let Yourself Go (A Director’s Cut Master)
4. Richard Earnshaw feat. Jocelyn Brown – Worthy (Director’s Cut Classic Club Mix)
5. Frankie Knuckles pres, Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – I’ll Take You There (Director’s Cut Classic Signature Mix)
6. Groove Assassin & Kenny Bobien – About Love (Sean McCabe’s Alt Vocal Dubbed Mix)
7. Hani & Andrea Martin – Middle Of The Night (Extra Sauce Mix)
8. Kruse& Nuremburg feat. Stee Downes – Last Chance (Original Version)
9. KennySummit & Director’s Cut pres. Yasmeen – Loving You (Original Mix)
10. Candi Staton – Hallelujah Anyway (Director’s Cut HalleDubya Anyway)
11. Lil’Louis – Fable (Director’s Cut Classic Club Mix)
12. Il Padrinos feat. Jocelyn Brown – That’s How Good Your Love Is (Club Mix)
CD 2 – The Soultronic Side
1. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. B. Slade – You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) (DJ Meme’s Mix Of Epic Proportions)
2. Joey Negro – Feel It (Alex Kenji Remix)
3. The Shapeshifters & C-Dock – Nothing But Love For You (Director’s Cut Breathtaking Adventure)
4. HumanLife – In It Together (Director’s Cut Signature Togetherness)
5. Colton Ford – Let Me Live Again (A Director’s Cut Master)
6. Ono– I’m Movin’ On (Director’s Cut Club Mix)
7. Quentin Harris & Ultra Nate – Give It 2 U (Frankie Knuckles’ ‘Gagatha Christie’ Mix)
8. Inaya Day & Robin S – Right Now (A Director’s Cut Master)
9. DJ Vivona & Joi Cardwell – Return To Love (A Director’s Cut Treatment)
10. Dbow – Get Involved (Original Mix)
11. DJ Chus & Rob Mirage – Back 2 NY (Original Stereo Mix)
11a. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – Your Love (Acapella)
12. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. Jamie Principle – Your Love (Belocca & Soneec Vocal Dub)
13. Frankie Knuckles pres. Director’s Cut feat. B. Slade – Get Over U (Rober Gaez ‘Mustache’ Mix)